|Santa Will Definitely Fill One of These|
A major spanner was thrown in the works yesterday evening. We were sitting at the kitchen table eating dinner. Farmboy looked at me with sad blue eyes and said
"Someone at school told me that Santa isn't real and it is just your Mum and Dad who buy the presents"
Farmboy is not yet six. I quashed my immediate reaction, which was to throttle the child who burst Farmboy's bubble, on the basis of the fact that
- Said child is only five and I can't throttle other peoples children.
- It is technically true (but only technically).
- Said child had probably been told the same fact by a horrible big kid and was just sharing the devastation.
I very quickly moved on to reassuring Farmboy that this was a big lie and of course Santa exists. Fortunately Farmgirl's belief is so unquestionable that she helped me in this reassurance as opposed to asking awkward questions.
Farmboy is very sensitive and quite smart so I came up with the following examples of very scientific, empirical evidence in favour of Santa's existence.
1. People have proven photographic proof of Santa. This is a lot more than can be said about things like the Loch Ness Monster and UFOs and lots of people still believe in those.
2. Lots of songs have been written about Santa. These have been sung by very well known and famous people like Elvis, Bing Crosby and The Wiggles. People of this calibre would not have put their reputations on the line by singing about a fake Santa.
3. Who else would fill the stockings? It is a well known fact that Mummy is very tired and may even have had a few champagnes by Christmas Eve which means that she would surely forget. Like she forgets things like library day at school. And swimming lesson day. And lunch order day.
4. People have written beautiful stories about Santa - "The Night Before Christmas" is all about Santa and it is one of Mummy's favorite stories. Mummy is very smart and pretty and would not like stories about pretend people.
5. We all have beautiful, magical imaginations and so Santa exists. Grown ups like Mummy, Daddy, Granny, Grandpa, Nanny, Boppy and numerous Uncles and Aunts all have such imaginations and all believe in Santa.
6. If you don't believe in Santa he doesn't come.
Fotunately Farmboy was more than happy with the above facts and was well reassured about Santa's existence. Crisis averted.
It did make me realise though that my beautiful babies are growing up. And I am not always going to be able to protect them from the unpalatable truths about life. There are always going to be things that will happen to them that I can't fix. The best I will be able to do is comfort and love. Hopefully it will be enough.