February 3, 2011

A New Do

I returned from our holiday to discover that I was chanelling an 80's stadium rocker in the hairstyle department.  I am not sure how this happened exactly.  One minute I was looking all windswept and beachy. Kind of like Lara Bingle.  If she was a brunette. And about a decade older. And had had two kids. And maybe with slightly different abs. But anyway definitely Laraesque at the very least...

Then I realised that I looked more like I should be fronting a band like "Starship" than anything else.

 It Is Hard To Take A Photo Of The Back Of Your Own Head

Given that I saw no role for a wind machine and the lyrics to "We Built This City On Rock And Roll" in my immediate future I thought I should take action.

I made an emergency phone call to the local hairdresser.  Back when I was still trying to be an uber babe I got my hair done in Perth. Basically I got sick of sitting for hours in an upmarket Perth salon while the hairdresser (who was way too cool to listen to me) chatted away to her friend about her weekend plans and who was shagging who, all the while chopping away at my hair without even looking.  I then got to pay several hundred dollars for the privilege of looking like a fashion victim and getting a hairstyle that was impossible for me to replicate with my blowdryer at home.

After one such experience, I booked into the local hairdresser and she cut and coloured my hair for a third of the price. And it only took a couple of hours.  And the cut was the best I had had for ages.  And she actually did what I wanted. I think if other hairdressers knew she did this they would send out the hit men...

When I complimented her on actually listening to me she replied

"Love, If you want a bright blue mohawk I'd do it.  I'm a hairdresser, not an artist"

Since then I have been a huge fan.

Anyway, this afternoon I spent a couple of hours in the salon chair and am now sporting a bob.  I was hoping it would look sort of French and chic.  Unfortunately it is giving off more of a "Dora The Explorer" vibe.

Oh well.

Farmboy Took This One

12 comments:

Sydney Shop Girl said...

I, for one, am a huge fan, AFW!

Am envious of the no fuss length. It has great body and volume, which Dora's does not.

SSG xxx

Sydney Shop Girl blog

ANB said...

I think it looks great too! I have short hair and always try to explain to the hairdresser how I want it to look thick and "stand outy" at the back and we never quite get there. So you have got there without even trying - hurrah! Cheers to you for going for such a big cut!

Anonymous said...

I am just having a small giggle. Dora the explora!!!! My two year old will love it!

Semi Expat said...

Agree with SSG - it has body and volume and is CHIC!(not Dora the Explorer although it did make me :) ) ... and if you don't like it you can always grow it again but good for you for going for something different rather than "just half an inch off the ends" !! Love it. x

Libby-Jane said...

I have long hair of the barbie doll kind but always have a fascination with people who are brave enough to chop their locks. looks gorgeous on you x

Sarah said...

I have been quietly reading your blog for a few weeks now. We have a very similar life!

I love that you're being brave and cutting it short. More people should take a leaf out of that book!

A Farmer's Wife said...

SSG - Thank you

Caz - Thank you too...

Semi Expat - I may grow it a little bit but probably not back to full witch length.

Thanks Lib.

Sarah - We probably have similar lives except you make gorgeous crafty things. I am not that clever! Thanks for reading.

Annette Piper said...

I'm so jealous - it doesn't look Dora at all! I missed my haircut appointment back in December when we had flooding and I haven't made it back. I've been cutting my own fringe which is a bit of a worry (never been able to cut anyone else's hair straight - so why would I be an exception!?) The one good thing is that the layers the hairdresser cut into last time (without being asked to of course) should be grown out sufficiently to mostly disappear. I'm looking forward to a cool neck again. In the meantime I'll just keep wearing it back in a clip!

Sarah said...

Hi again
I just read this post over at Scoutie Girl - and it made me think of your post so I thought you might get a kick out of it...

http://www.scoutiegirl.com/2011/02/does-your-look-affect-the-way-you-see-your-world.html

A Farmer's Wife said...

Annette - I have cut my own fringe many, many times.... It is never pretty!

Sarah - Thanks so much. Just checked it out and it made me feel stylish as opposed to Dora-ish.

Farmers Wifey said...

YOU are my mirror twin because just this week I too got my hair cut short.....wow!!! And your's looks great btw xox

Anonymous said...

I love what your hairdresser said. I'm sure mine is thinking, "miracle worker" instead of artist.

I think your new do looks great. I feel like I go in hoping for some help with the frizz and leaving still looking like Roseanne Roseannadanna.