February 13, 2013

Kaleidoscope.

A couple of years ago I wrote this post about cleaning out my clothes.  Then this morning I was sorting through them again and I realised quite a bit had changed in my wardrobe.  I used to wear neutral colours, block colour and my idea of an adventurous pattern would have been nautical stripes. And today look what I found.

Yes There Is A Orange and White Polka Dot Wrap Dress In There

A kaleidoscope of colour and pattern.  Gradually things changed.  Some of this was obviously to do with fashion and some with me.  A subtle change in lifestyle meant I needed better clothes.  Going back to work more and no longer being in imminent danger of being vomited on by small children made a difference (although realistically some of those patterns would go a lot further to disguising baby vomit than my black t-shirts ever did....).

I was inspired to write this post  by both my wardrobe clean out and  reading Lisa's blog Privilege today.  She blogged about some gradual changes in her own wardrobe and I was intrigued as to why our style changes.  I often think forces stronger than fashion are at work.  Plus kaleidoscope has been one of my favourite words since I was a little girl.  And I wanted to write something with it in.  Kaleidosope. Magical.



8 comments:

Fiona said...

I very nearly bought that same dotty dress (if it's the Sacha Drake one I think it is). Love your kaleidoscope of colours.

A Farmer's Wife said...

It is from Sacha Drake - I have worn it considerably more than I thought I would!

Faux Fuchsia said...

I LOVE this post!

The other day I answered some questions for a friend's daughter's dissertation on clothes in the workplace and perceptions of authority and what you've written really resonates with me.

Off to read Priv now xxx

A Farmer's Wife said...

It's funny isn't it ? My work position comes with a fair amount of authority at times - as I have got older and more established I have become more and more myself at work. I think some of that comes with the confidence associated with "having the runs on the board" so to speak.... Plus all that black was getting so boring! Life is hard enough sometimes without wandering around looking like an undertaker.

Emma said...

Oooh I love this post! Now longing to see what each and everyone of those fabulous and colourful outfits look like!! xx

River said...

I love the colourful clothes! My stuff is mostly boring t-shirts and jeans, plus black work pants and the striped uniform shirt. Ugh!

Heidi said...

Someone recently was talking about something I would like (wardrobe wise), and then said, "oh, but it's black, you like colour". I found this quite interesting because being an Architect, we wear black as our industry uniform, especially in Melbourne. For many, many years I wore black (with a bit of charcoal for interest). Being at home with kids, I've consciously embraced colour as I thought it wouldn't be nice for them to see me in black all the time. Obviously I'm now in the opposite direction! xx

LPC said...

Kaleidoscopes are magical, I agree. Just as I agree that forces other than fashion are at work - that's why I find fashion so interesting.