February 20, 2013

Quiche - A Yummy One.

I think quiches fit into that category of food that can be either really good or really horrible.  Nothing is worse than a quiche with too much egg and not enough proper filling in my opinion.  However a good quiche is a fabulous thing.

Look - here's one I made a week or so ago.  (I came so close to writing "here's one I prepared earlier" but managed to stop myself.)

Rustic Quiche

Needless to say it looks a bit rough and ready around the edges.  Most things I make do but they taste OK so we run it with it.  (I am hopeless at frou frou food.)

Anyway, back to the quiche.   I thought I would pop the recipe up on the blog as it is a handy one to have and very simple.  The trick to this involves the fact that its made with what I call "melted pastry."  So much easier than normal pastry which I fail at regularly.

So here goes.

Ingredients - Pastry

  • 135g butter
  • 55mls of milk
  • pinch salt
  • 1 and a 1/2 cups of SR flour

The pastry is super easy.  Basically you throw all the above ingredients in a pot and stir over low heat.  I know this breaks all the usual pastry rules which seem to involve iced water and rubbing in of butter and so on.  No need to be gentle with this stuff though.  Get in there and stir the living daylights out of it.

Melted Mess


When it is all mixed don't try and roll it out.  Rather just push it into your quiche dish (which has been greased prior) with your fingers.  A bit like a biscuit base for a cheesecake but this stuff is much stickier and should stay together more.

With Finger Marks And All

I do take the time to blind bake this.  Just pop some baking paper on top and then some dry rice or baking weights if you have them.  Bake on 180 degrees for about 10- 15 minutes and then pull out before the sides brown at all.  The pastry will have puffed up in this time.  I use a glass and just push it down again.  You really can be quite rough with this pastry and it makes no difference.

Pushing Pastry Back Down


Let it cool a little while and get on with the filling.

Ingredients - Filling

  • 300ml of cream
  • 3 eggs
  • anything else you feel like that is vaguely quichey
I made a leek, mushroom and bacon quiche as that is my favourite.  Filling wise anything will do but be generous.  If you are using fresh tomatoes just place thin rounds on top before baking as chopped up tomato mixed through is too watery and the filling won't set properly.  In this case I fried some bacon, mushrooms and leeks in a pan until they were soft but not brown.

Lovely

In a bowl mix the eggs, cream, filling (I also throw in some grated cheddar and parmesan cheese), salt and pepper.  Pour into pastry case and put in oven at 180 degrees until the top is set and browned slightly.

The whole things is very easy and extremely yummy.  Worth a try if, like me, you baulk at making pastry.

11 comments:

Romy said...

Our family are big quiche eaters.....love it with caremelised onion! Going to try your melted pastry as if too stressy in my house quiche becomes frittata as the pastry is the first thing to go.....Rx

River said...

I'm pretty good with pastry, but I'll try your melted pastry next time I'm making a quiche. Pricking the base of the pastry all over with a fork before baking helps to stop it rising, as well as the rice, dried beans, or weights.

Emma said...

oooh, a pastry recipe that sounds relatively uncomplicated! Woohoo!!! Definitely will be trying this one out over the weekend. x

Sydney Shop Girl said...

Excellent recipe! Perfect for my needs right now.

SSG xxx

Heidi said...

I use my grandmothers recipe, and her pastry was very easy and deliciously flaky and buttery. I've never heard of a wet pastry though, so I'll have to give it a try and compare. I've decided that the best quiches depend on the cheese used. A good cheese makes it taste that much better that something with, say, Coon in it. xx

Faux Fuchsia said...

luffs it!!

so retro x

Domesblissity said...

Well, that's a new one. Talk about breaking all the rules. I've made choux pastry before but never a short pastry. Its got the better of me and I'm dying to try it. Thanks for the recipe. (PS Thanks for the kind words and birthday wishes.)

Anne xx

jcatesby6 said...

You bet, hate frou frou food as well! Can't stand food that is handled and pampered so much and anyway the "imperfections" are what give character and interest, yours looks like a true home-made dish made with luv. Never heard of melted pastry, must give it a try. Maggie Beer has a great sour cream pastry recipe which is all done in the mixer, also easy and delicious.

Lisa @ Blithe Moments said...

I made my other half a quiche before I discovered that he hated them. It turns out he hates his mother's quiche, he rather loves mine but I'm sworn to secrecy that I will never tell his mother lest she make them for him. You are completely right that there is a world of difference between a good and bad quiche.

Jane said...

rustic is good. I love the look of your quiche. I have a similar filling from the four ingredients cookbooks. a sheet of puff pastry for the base, 3 eggs and a tub of sour cream for the filling and add some cheese or whatever else. Jane x

BarbMCHEJG said...

Fantastic recipe! Thank you. My Husband's family owned a flour mill and bakeries. He is very impressed with this simple but successful tasty pastry recipe.