November 24, 2010

Pike River

Like most of Australia and New Zealand, I was saddened today to here of the second explosion in the Pike River coal mine, and the resulting fact that there is now no hope of finding any of the missing 29 miners alive.  Hearing of accidents in mines makes me go cold.  It is a little bit close to home as my own brother has worked in mining for many years.  Sometimes underground.  I also have friends in the industry.  I can't imagine having my husband/son/brother/father go off to work and just not come back. The grief is beyond my comprehension.

As someone who is also part of a small community I shudder to think of the effect of losing 29 men on such a community.

Tonight I will hug my children and husband, and think of the families across The Tasman who are having to bear the unbearable.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi I just wanted to let you know that I am really enjoying your blog! I live in Tasmania and was raised on a hobby farm - not quite a big farm like yours but some similarities and love reading about your family and adventures! I also recently got into quilting and love your background.

Jacqui

A Farmer's Wife said...

Thanks Jacqui - it is so lovely of you to comment. It is nice to know that people are reading and enjoying the blog out there somewhere...!