I have been giving some thought to what I think makes up the perfect beach house. I have come up with the following requirements (and our Beach House doesn't quite meet them all but that's OK, we are lucky to have a house at all....)
1. Beach Views - I love sitting quietly in the evening with a drink watching the sun set over the ocean. Our house doesn't have views but I have found sitting on the front verandah and watching the birds play under the sprinkler is an adequate substitute. I sit here. It's enough.
|Chairs For Afternoon Drinks|
2. Easily Sweepable Floors - Lots of kids in and out equals lots of sand. Sand is one of those things that fit into my "not worth stressing over" category. Any floor that can have a broom go over it meets this criteria
3. No Over Styling - Beach Houses should have relaxed decor. A daggy 70s twist is ideal. Some furniture should have come straight from your Nanna's shed. Coastal Chic Nanna Style is perfect. Nothing should even approach magazine perfection. It helps if the outside appearance is enhanced by lots of beach towels thrown over the verandah rail.
4. A Drinks Fridge, Preferably Outside - We have the perfect example. It has even been painted blue for a relaxed coastal vibe.
|Drinks And Fish Fridge|
5. An Outside Shower (With Hot and Cold Running Water) - Perfect for salty, sandy Farmchildren.
6. Lots of Bedrooms - A dormitory style arrangement would be perfect.... I am thinking of instituting bunk beds in our house. Living areas don't seem to be as crucial as everyone is outside most of the time.
7. Dishwasher - I know I sound like a princess but you spend days in a house with 8 adults, 2 kids and one sink...
8. Easy Care Garden - I have a soft spot for buffalo lawns by the beach. Again I think it is the childhood memories evoked from that prickly feel on bare feet.
9. A Location With A Sea Breeze - Great for cooling purposes on hot afternoons. Farmboy calls the sea breeze "salt and pepper wind". He says that if you stick your tongue out, it tastes just like salt and pepper.
9. Lots of Friends and Family That Come To Stay - This is the best bit really.
|Bougainvillea, Back Garden of Beach House|